|Date||Start||Place||OS Grid ref||Type|
|9 Oct 2016||11 a.m.||Polmaise Wood, Stirling||NS 772 923||Local|
Suitable for all ages - families and beginners welcome. Great fun for all the family.
These sessions are open to members and new participants. They are great to encourage friends and family to come along to try the sport, as well as providing club training. There are colour coded courses to meet all levels of ability. You can use the courses to self train and talk to coaches for advice as needed.
Courses offered: Yellow, Orange, Green. A Blue will also be offered if the area supports it - please check the individual event notifications and DoodlePoll
Registration between 1.30pm and 2.30pm. Please try to come early if you think you will take a long time on your course!
Maps - £6 Adults, £4 Juniors for non-members (£4/£3 for members).
Contact Membership for further details.
RESERVE YOUR MAP!
It is not necessary to pre-enter this event, however if you are a member of British Orienteering and would like to reserve a map and help avoid registration queues, then please put your name, club, SI number and course colour in the doodle poll - click on the link below
Travel: Car parking is at Quarry Road/Old Drove Road, Cambusbarron. Postcode FK7 9NE.
Cambusbarron village is 2 miles west of Stirling. From the Main Street in Cambusbarron village, take Touch Road towards the west. After approximately 200m, look out for a sign marked Quarry Road and turn left.
Please park on the residential Quarry Road or Old Drove Road and walk along to registration (10-100m).
Please respect residents' driveways and privacy.
The registration, start and finish are in the dog walkers car park, close to the junction of Quarry Road and Old Drove Road.
Starts: 11am - 12.30pm
Maps are at 1:7500 and each map costs:
- £5 adults/£3 juniors for non-members
- £3 adults/£2 juniors for members
In addition, we have 2 short Green training courses, which go across highly runnable part of the area and are for practising complex indistinct path networks, small depressions and rhododendron bush hunting:
- Green control pick #1 - 1.7km, 80m climb
- Green control pick #2 - 1.5km, 65m climb
Important map/course information:
- All courses - there are many small paths in this area. Some are marked as indistinct on the map and some are not. Also some paths shown on the map are very indistinct. Beware!
- All courses - the area is full of small and large rhododendron bushes, marked by dark green on the map. Many of these have grown larger or coalesced into each other.
- Orange, Green, Blue - Please note that 2 controls on the Orange course, some controls on each Green course and all of the Blue course controls are training controls. This means that they do not have control codes nor SI units. If you would like to play splits, then please bring your splits watch!
Important safety information - please read:
- The ground is very muddy and slippery so be careful as there are steep banks in places.
- There are huge quarries in the area - all courses pass close to the edges of these. The quarry cliffs are however well fenced off with signs saying Danger. Do not cross these fences. The quarries near the Yellow, Orange and Green are shown as Out of Bounds on the map. Parents are responsible for ensuring that juniors are adequately briefed on this danger.
- All participants take part at their own risk.
Courses close at 2pm - all participants should report to the finish by this time.
Contact - Jen