|Date||Start||Place||OS Grid ref||Type||Organiser|
|14 Nov 2018||6:30 p.m.||Sauchie Crags||NS 771 907||Night||Jason Inman
Night Events run on a fortnightly basis through the dark winter nights.
The events will provide some great orienteering and merit top billing in your diary! Normally there are two courses provided - a longer course, and a cut-off is defined on the longer course to provide a short course. There is a mass start at 18:30, but the courses will be gaffled to provide additional challenge. Hope to see you there!
Most events are by SI punching.
Please pre-enter through www.nav.run - usually by 10pm on Monday before the event - to secure a map. Indicate if you are doing the longer or shorter course. If you cannot pre-enter please phone or email the organiser directly.
- NO CONTACT = NO MAP!
- Include details of your SI card
- Don't forget your head-torch on the night
- Meet at grid reference shown above.
- Cost: £4 (juniors/students £3) Non BOF members £6/£4 - Payable through pre-entry or, in exceptional circumstances, on the night. Note – under 16’s must be accompanied by an adult at all times.
- Mass start at 6.30pm. Courses close at 8pm.
- Pre-marked waterproof maps.
- One technical (green +) course of ca 5k - with short cut for those wanting to do less!
- Controls are sport-ident (SI Air enabled) and/or reflective tape.
- Safety - spare torch and whistle are mandatory, and wearing/carrying hooded waterproof jacket is mandatory if deemed necessary by the organiser. Checks will be made! Wearing high visibility/reflective clothing is strongly recommended for urban events.
- Note: Car parks are often close to houses and are often used by others, so please park considerately and change discreetly.
- Note: Participants take part at their own risk!
Date - Wednesday 14th November
Time - Mass start at 18:30, courses close 20:00.
Venue – Sauchie - parking by the river at NS770907 Please park tightly-limited space available – do not block the track over the bridge.
Sauchie has been harvested in many places but I have managed to plan two fine courses that will be technically challenging.
Lift shares / pick-ups - Stirling and Bridge of Allan stations are close by, use FVO mail if you need help.
Map – Marcus Pinker map with edits at 1:5,000 using the forest ISOM specification. Pre-printed on waterproof paper.
Courses - Long (approx 4km) and Short (approx 2.6km). TD5 courses.
Entry - Online at https://www.nav.run/ by 10pm on Monday 12th November. NO CONTACT = NO MAP!
Cost - BOF/SOA members, Adults £4 / Juniors/students £3. Non-members £6/£4.
Under 16s – must be accompanied by an adult at all times.
Timing - SportIDENT and reflective canes.
Safety - spare torch and whistle are mandatory, and wearing/carrying hooded waterproof jacket is mandatory if deemed necessary by the organiser.
Hazards – This is a relatively remote, working forest with lots of spikey Sitka, some windblow, steep slopes, undergrowth, stony areas with big cliffs, and maybe gruffalo....
Participants take part at their own risk!
Note - Car parks are often close to houses and are often used by others, so please park considerately and change discreetly.
Post event food – The Pirnhall is the nearest eatery and you don’t have to book a table – please feel free to join me there.
Newcomers - If you have never or rarely done night orienteering before, this wouldn’t be a good one to try. If you’re feeling brave then bring a buddy.