|Date||Start||Place||OS Grid ref||Type||Organiser|
|14 Nov 2018||6:30 p.m.||Sauchie Crags||NS 771 907||Night||Jason Inman
Night Events run on a regular basis through the dark winter nights.
The events will provide some great orienteering and merit top billing in your diary! There will be three courses provided - a longer TD5 course, a TD5 short course, and an easier Orange/Light Green course (where possible). The easier course is intended for people who have some day orienteering experience and who wish to try night orienteering, however remember that even Orange courses are more difficult at night-time! The courses may be gaffled to provide additional challenge.
Juniors (those who have not had their 16th birthday) may not compete independently of an adult in Night races unless (a) they have successfully completed three daytime races at TD5 standard, and (b) they have successfully completed two Night races with an experienced shadow, at either Long or Short level (novice courses don't count). The Night series co-ordinator will be able to advise which juniors are included in this.
- Meet at grid reference shown above.
- Cost: £4 (juniors/students £3) Non BOF members £6/£4 - Payable through pre-entry or, in exceptional circumstances, on the night. Note – under 16’s must be accompanied by an adult at all times.
- Mass start at 6.30pm. Courses close at 8pm.
- Pre-marked waterproof maps.
- One technical (green +) course of ca 5k - with short cut for those wanting to do less!
- Controls are sport-ident (SI Air enabled) and/or reflective tape.
- Safety - spare torch and whistle are mandatory, and wearing/carrying hooded waterproof jacket is mandatory if deemed necessary by the organiser. Checks will be made! Wearing high visibility/reflective clothing is strongly recommended for urban events.
- Note: Car parks are often close to houses and are often used by others, so please park considerately and change discreetly.
- Note: Participants take part at their own risk!
Date - Wednesday 14th November
Time - Mass start at 18:30, courses close 20:00.
Venue – Sauchie - parking by the river at NS770907 Please park tightly-limited space available – do not block the track over the bridge.
Sauchie has been harvested in many places but I have managed to plan two fine courses that will be technically challenging.
Lift shares / pick-ups - Stirling and Bridge of Allan stations are close by, use FVO mail if you need help.
Map – Marcus Pinker map with edits at 1:5,000 using the forest ISOM specification. Pre-printed on waterproof paper.
Courses - Long (approx 4km) and Short (approx 2.6km). TD5 courses.
Entry - Online at https://www.nav.run/ by 10pm on Monday 12th November. NO CONTACT = NO MAP!
Cost - BOF/SOA members, Adults £4 / Juniors/students £3. Non-members £6/£4.
Under 16s – must be accompanied by an adult at all times.
Timing - SportIDENT and reflective canes.
Safety - spare torch and whistle are mandatory, and wearing/carrying hooded waterproof jacket is mandatory if deemed necessary by the organiser.
Hazards – This is a relatively remote, working forest with lots of spikey Sitka, some windblow, steep slopes, undergrowth, stony areas with big cliffs, and maybe gruffalo....
Participants take part at their own risk!
Note - Car parks are often close to houses and are often used by others, so please park considerately and change discreetly.
Post event food – The Pirnhall is the nearest eatery and you don’t have to book a table – please feel free to join me there.
Newcomers - If you have never or rarely done night orienteering before, this wouldn’t be a good one to try. If you’re feeling brave then bring a buddy.